Events with a waiting list
When you have limited spots configured for your event and registrations have reached the maximum available spots resulting in your event being full, you can use the waiting list feature to continue accepting potential registrations.
Using the waiting list feature gives you the opportunity to know how many more attendees would like to attend the event, and decide how you want to accommodate those on the waiting list. You may be able to add more spots, regain some spots from cancellations, or just squeeze in that extra person or two. You may have such high interest that you decide to create another event for the attendees on the waiting list or be able to add them to a future date of the same event. Either way, using a waiting list will also help you with future event planning to better gauge the interest of your audience.
How to Use the Waiting List Feature
To enable this feature, follow these steps:
- Go to Step 5 – Filters & Settings when you are creating or editing the event that you want to have the waiting list.
- Assuming that you have set a limit on the number of spots in your event as part of this step, turn on the " Enable waiting list registrations when the event is full" feature.
- Check the box "Automatically and immediately convert any waiting registrations to standard registrations when spots become available for any reason" if you want this feature. Leave this option disabled when you want to manually and deliberately convert any waiting registrations to standard registrations. This automatic conversion will go on until 24 hours prior to the registration closing time of the event, but you can change that and select another predefined value, including keeping it active up to the last minute if you desire.
CAUTION: When this option is enabled you won't have the opportunity to decide who gets the new spots available. The attendees will automatically be converted in the order of the earliest registration and receive an immediate confirmation email of their updated registration. This only happens if the event is still open for registrations, and it is not closing for at least 24 hours (or the value you select) from that moment. If registrants owe an amount to be paid, then they would follow the instructions in the email confirmation to pay the amount online or offline, depending on the event setup.
- Check the box "Allow attendees to remove themselves from the waiting list if needed if you want this feature. When enabled, it will add a special link to the confirmation email that your customers get after registering, which will allow them to remove themselves from the waiting list if they no longer wish to be on it.
- As part of this configuration, you can also include an optional message with any information about the waiting list for your audience, which will be displayed at the top of the registration form, right below the standard wording.
- When you have finished this configuration, Save & Exit.
Waiting List Feature on Registrations
Automatic Waiting List Conversions
- If you cancel, delete, or transfer a registration from the event
- If someone self-cancels their registration from the event
- If you update the event and change the number of spots available or change the waiting list settings
Manual Waiting List Conversions
Other waiting list options:
- You can move any standard attendee to the waiting list of the same event, as long as they have no payment transactions already associated with that specific registration.
- You can move an attendee from the waiting list of one event to another event, either still as a waiting list status or as a standard attendee, using the Transfer to another event feature in the above menu.
- You can manually register attendees straight to a waiting list of an event.