Issue a full or partial refund
Refunds can be issued with or without canceling a registration. For example, you may wish to offer a full or partial refund to someone who registered and participated in the event for any number of reasons. You may want or need to compensate them for any unforeseen issues that arose before, during, or after the event, or as a way of gifting them a discount. In most cases though, the refund of money will be associated with a canceled registration, based on your refund policy.
In this article
How to issue a refund
- Locate the attendee registration that you need to refund. You can do this in one of several ways: use the search bar to find the attendee by name (easiest), search for the attendee within your Attendees list, or search for the attendee within the event to which they are registered.
- Open the attendee's registration panel and select the Payment tab, where you will find the Refund button. By clicking on it, you will be presented with a field to enter the refund amount for a full or partial refund.
- If you would like to send a refund receipt to the attendee, check the box for this option.
- Complete the task by selecting "Issue refund."
A Refund Does Not Cancel or Delete a Registration
- If you need to cancel the registration, on the attendee's registration panel select the Actions dropdown menu, and choose the Cancel this registration option. To learn more about canceling registrations, read the help doc: Cancel a registration.
- If you need to delete a registration, on the attendee's registration panel select the Actions dropdown menu, and choose the Delete/expunge this registration option. To learn more about the deletion process, read the help doc: Erase personal data from registrations.
Release a Pending Payment
How Refunds Work if Stripe Already Processed a Payout
If Stripe has already deposited all the money from an event into your bank account and then you need to issue a refund without having any funds to cover it in your Stripe account, here is how Stripe handles such cases. The excerpt below is directly from their help docs website - Stripe Refunds: