Modifying an outstanding payment amount
The following help doc will explain how to modify the payment amount that you need to or want to charge an attendee on an already existing registration that has no payment transactions yet or already has one or more partial payment transactions.
If you are looking for help with how you can modify any payment transactions that have already been recorded on attendees' registration panels, then please refer to the following help doc: Modifying an existing payment transaction.
How to Modify a Payment
Regardless of the price that you have set for an event, you still always have the ability to modify a payment amount for any existing registration that you have received. Depending on your particular case scenario, you may need to increase or decrease the amount to be paid for various reasons.
To edit a payment for a registration, follow these steps:
- Locate the attendee registration whose payment you need to edit. You can do this in one of several ways: use the search bar to find the attendee by name (easiest), search for the attendee from within your attendees' list, or search for the attendee from within the event that they are registered to.
- Open the attendee's registration details panel and select the Payment tab.
- Once you have the payment tab open, select "Modify".
- You now have the following options, which allow you to:
- Modify the event price — increase or decrease the price you wish to charge for the event.
- Modify the tax — add a tax rate, change a tax rate, or remove a tax rate.
- Modify the add-ons — add or remove an add-on, including a completely custom item just for this registration.
- Modify the coupons — apply or remove a coupon discount.
- You can check the "Email Receipt" option to send an updated receipt to the person right away, or leave it unchecked if you have other modifications you need to make to the registration. You can send the updated registration receipt later so that the person does not receive too many emails.
- Be sure to select "Update" before you leave this area to save your changes.
- You can modify the price of a registration as many times as you need.
- If your modification causes the final pending amount owing to go below zero, then the change will not be accepted. There cannot be a negative pending amount. For example, you cannot apply a discount to an amount that has already been paid in full. In such cases, you first have to issue a refund or release a pending amount.
- If you need to add a custom invoice line item for any reason and be able to describe it on the invoice, be sure to use the "custom add-on" option that you see under the "Add-ons" list on the screen, instead of changing the event price. This way, you have a specific entry that is clear and visible to both you and the attendee on their receipt rather than an ambiguous price change.
- To edit any other part of the registration, please read the help doc How to edit registration information.